I don’t always wash my face, but when I do, I make sure I am using quality products that don’t cost more than my mortgage. Did you know that most designer sunglasses are made with the same exact plastics and metals as cheap sunglasses? That their lenses are actually the same and that they are even produced in some of the same factories? Same molds, same everything. It’s literally just the logo on the frame that you are paying for. Skin products tend to be the same way. Well, sort of.
If you do your research, you will find that a lot of the higher end brands have the same exact base ingredients as drug store brands. The drug store brands might lack a signature scent, or even a smoother feeling (of the product application, not your skin), but they are equally as effective. Not only that, but because fancier, luxe brands have propriety ownership of their ‘special blends’ they are not required to reveal what exactly goes into their products. This means their skin care products can literally be comprised of 90% water and 10% product.
Once I learned this from an esthetician, I decided to stick to my good old drug store stuff. There are a few things that I like to splurge on, but even then, they aren’t crazy expensive.
- Pond’s Cold Cream – This stuff is AMAZING. It’s the best makeup remover on the market (in my opinion) by far. It wipes all that makeup of your face while cleansing and moisturizing at the same time.
- Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser – I love this stuff. It is good for people with sensitive eyes and helps get any leftover makeup off including waterproof makeup. I use it with number 3.
- ProX by Olay Microdermabrasion Plus Advanced Facial Cleansing Brush System – This is an at home facial. I use the cleansing brush almost everyday and then I use the microdermabrasion head once a week. I have sensitive skin, and it works so well.
- Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner – If I had a penny for every time an esthetician told me that your toner is THE most important item in your routine… I would be rich. Since I have sensitive skin I cannot use products with alcohol. This toner is great and doesn’t irritate my skin.
- Origins A Perfect World For Eyes Firming Moisture Treatment With White Tea – THIS IS MY FAVORITE. A little goes a long way. This is one of my splurges. Trust me on this one. It’s perfect as your everyday eye cream.
- Origins Ginzing Energy Boosting Moisturizer – Smells like fresh squeezed orange juice and is so so smooth. I use this moisturizer in the morning.
- Origins High Potency Night-A-Mins Mineral-Enriched Moisture Cream – This stuff is amazing. I use this as my night time moisturizer.
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant and Non-Greasy Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 100+ – I wear this every single day. Even if I forget the rest of my routine or Im in a hurry, I use this sunscreen on my face EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
The rest of the items on my list are masks that I love as well as additional moisturizers and lotions that my dry sensitive skin sometimes needs. You can click here to order these items and shop the rest of my favorites!